The Challenges of Growing Global
There are two key trends that any agricultural innovator should be aware of.
- Stakeholders across the industry are looking to grow more with less. The population is increasing fast, and arable land is decreasing. The challenges of climate change and extreme weather mean that the techniques of the past are no longer sustainable.
- There is a digital revolution happening that affects every industry. Agriculture and irrigation both need to adopt cloud computing, remote management and control, as digital farming is a reality for any forward-thinking business.
As the world leader in precision irrigation, Netafim wanted to leverage their 55 years of expertise and take it to the next level – digital farming with NetBeat.
The infrastructure needed to be:
Highly available: Devices, satellites, sensors and external sources would be continuously sending data to the cloud, in structured and unstructured forms. Any break in service or loss of data could damage the business insights and crop-specific recommendations being sent to the farmers. When it comes to agriculture, these systems are mission-critical. One bad crop could cause a lost season, which could lead to a farmer losing their livelihood altogether.
Scalable and Cost-effective: Netafim needed an entirely new deployment, a durable solution that affordably supported quick and wide growth, meeting the needs of hundreds of thousands of customers and their devices and data without the need for regular changes in architecture.
Collaborative and Connected: Netafim wanted an open platform that supported collaboration with other players in the agricultural market. A place where they could share their industry-leading knowledge and learn from others, with two-way communication between the company and its customers for upgrades/fixes and support.
The AllCloud Solution for NetBeat
AllCloud and Netafim built a cloud infrastructure from the ground up. This happened in three key phases:
- Building the Netafim application on AWS
- Securing this infrastructure using AWS Landing Zone
- Cloning the application to make it easy to distribute in new regions
AllCloud used their own best practices and AWS technology to create a highly available solution that could manage an immense scale.